Saving A City's Heritage

There are approximately 75 entries for Newark on the National and New Jersey Registers of Historic Places. They include historic districts, buildings, parks, cemeteries, and statuary.

Following is a complete list of the Newark sites that have received official recognition, often through nominations sponsored by the Newark Landmarks.

This list includes only places that are still in existence.  Buildings that were once listed but have been demolished are not listed.  The dates are for original or major subsequent construction.  Corrected to February 2008.

Please note that the buildings are classified by their original use, in the following categories:  Historic Districts; Houses; Churches; Synagogues; Cemeteries, Parks & Statuary; Office, Commercial & Theater Buildings; Industrial Uses & Transportation; Education, Health & Senior Services; and Government Buildings.

Newark Landmarks Treasures

For a complete listing of Newark landmarks consider purchasing our newest book in the “Newark Landmark Treasures” published on the occasion of the 350th Anniversary of the founding of the City of Newark, New Jersey. 

“Newark LandmarkTreasures” brings together, for the first-time, narratives of Newark’s buildings, parks, public art and historicdistricts that are on the State and/or National Register of Historic Places.  For more information about the book and to purchase online please visit our Shop.

(Please scroll down to continue reading an overview of Newark landmarks on this page)


FOREST HILL:   All or part of 56 blocks bounded by Branch Brook Park, Heller Parkway; DeGraw, Verona, Clifton, Elwood, Mount Prospect and Second Avenues.

FOUR CORNERS:  All or part of 27 blocks bounded roughly by Raymond Blvd.,Mulberry Street, Edison Place; Broad, Hill, Washington & Market Streets.; and University Avenue.  

JAMES STREET COMMONS:  All or part of 21 blocks, including all of Washington Park and portions of Broad, Orange, James, Bleeker, Summit, Halsey, Washington, New, Linden, Warren, Boyden, Essex, Burnet, and Eagles Streets.; Central and University Avenues.; Martin Luther King, Jr. Blvd. & Washington Place.

LINCOLN PARK:  All or part of 10 blocks, including Lincoln and Clinton Parks and portions of Broad, Halsey, Spruce, and Washington Streets. and Clinton and Pennsylvania Avenues.  

MILITARY PARK COMMONS:  All or part of 11 blocks, including Military and Doane Parks and portions of Broad, Cedar, Center, Fulton, Halsey, Mulberry, New, E. Park, W. Park and Rector Streets., Central Avenue, Park Place, Raymond Blvd.  (Note: The 5 blocks west of Broad St. are excluded from the State Register listing.)  

NORTH BROAD STREET:  Rowhouses (1890s), 136-148 Broad Street.  

WEEQUAHIC PARK:  (1895) and 28 blocks approximately bounded by Elizabeth, Renner, Maple and Lyons Avenues.


1711 / SYDENHAM HOUSE:  Old Road to Bloomfield, between Heller Parkway & Elwood Ave.

1725 / PLUME HOUSE:  now House of Prayer rectory, 407 Broad St.

1808 / SYMINGTON HOUSE:  later Continental House and St. Philip Academy, 2 Park Place

1871 / COE HOUSE:  698 Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd. (High St.)

1880 / CLARK MANSION:  now North Ward Center, 346 Mount Prospect Ave.

1884 / BALLANTINE HOUSE:  Newark Museum, 43 Washington St.

1889 / KRUEGER MANSION:  later Scott Civic Center, now vacant, 601 King Blvd.

1905 / FEIGENSPAN MANSION:  now Community Agencies Corp., 710 King Blvd.


1844 / MOUNT PLEASANT CEMETERY:  375 Broadway

1853 / EVERGREEN CEMETERY:  entrance at 1137 North Broad Street, Hillside; also portions in Newark and Elizabeth.

1895 / BRANCH BROOK PARK:  including Ballantine Parkway Gatehouses.

1910-31 / RIVERBANK PARK:  Raymond Blvd., Market, Van Buren, Somme Streets.

1911-26 / (GUTZON) BORGLUM SCULPTURES:  "Seated Lincoln" (1911), Essex County Courthouse; "Indian and Puritan" (1916), Washington Park; and "Wars of America" (1926), Military Park


1837 /ESSEX COUNTY JAIL:   New & Newark Streets.

1906 /NEWARK CITY HALL:   920 Broad Street.

1906 /ESSEX COUNTY COURTHOUSE:  MLK Blvd. & WestMarket Street.

1916 /ESSEX COUNTY PARK COMMISSION:  115 CliftonAvenue.

1935 /U.S. POST OFFICE & COURT HOUSE:  Franklin &Walnut Streets.


1851 / WATTS, CAMPBELL CO:  1270 McCarter Highway; originally a machine shop.

1890 / MURPHY VARNISH CO:  McWhorter & Chestnut Streets; originally a factory, now residences.

1890 / DIETZE BUILDING:  60 Union Street, now residential artists lofts and studios.

1892 / TIFFANY & COMPANY:  792 Highland Avenue, now residential.

1903 / LACKAWANA RAILROAD STATION:  University Avenue & Lackawana Place.

1930s / NEWARK LIBERTY INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT:  Administration and Medical Buildings.

1935 / PENNSYLVANIA RAILROAD STATION:  Raymond Blvd. & Market Street.

1937 / DOCK BRIDGE:  Passaic River.


1784 /LYONS FARMS SCHOOLHOUSE:  49 WashingtonStreet.  It is the oldest standing school building in Newark.  Thebuilding has been restored and now resides in the backyard of the Newark ArtMuseum.

1845/  STATE STREET SCHOOL:  15 State Street,housed the first African American School under the leadership of JamesMiller Baxter, Jr., the first black Principal in Newark's public school system.

1857/ EBERHARDT HALL:  MLK Blvd. & BleekerStreet, originally was home to the Newark Orphan Asylum.  Now theadministrative building for NJIT.

1875/ YOUTH CONSULTATION SERVICE:  284Broadway.  Originally, an orphanage and now a social servicesagency for youth and their families.

1886 /NEWARK DAY CENTER:  305 HalseyStreet.  Originally, the Newark Female Charitable Society andnow a social services agency providing a daycare center, job training, andsenior activities.


1791 / OLD FIRST PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH:  820 Broad Street.

1809 / TRINITY & ST. PHILIP'S CATHEDRAL (Episcopal):  Broad & Rector Streets; base of tower dates from 1744.

1828-47 / ST. JOHN'S ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH:  22 Mulberry Street.

1848 / GRACE CHURCH (Episcopal):  950 Broad Street.

1849 / OUR LADY OF MOUNT CARMEL CHURCH:  176 Edison Place. Originally the Second Dutch Reformed Church, later Ironbound Cultural Center, now Igreja Assembleia de Deus.

1850 / CHRIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH:  76 Prospect Street, now a medical office building.


1850 / NEW POINT BAPTIST CHURCH:  17 East Kinney Street, originally South Baptist Church.

1850 / ST. PATRICK'S PRO-CATHEDRAL (Roman Catholic), Washington Street & Central Avenue.

1852 / ST. JAMES A.M.E. CHURCH:  588 MLK Blvd, originally High Street Presbyterian Church.

1855-84 / SOUTH PARK PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH:  1035 Broad Street, only facade and towers remain.

ST. MARY'S ABBEY CHURCH:  MLK Blvd. & William Street.

1859-68 / NORTH REFORMED CHURCH:  510 Broad Street.

1861 / QUEEN OF ANGELS CHURCH:  44 Irvine Turner Blvd. (Belmont Avenue), originally St. Peter's R.C.Church.

1864 / ST. BARNABAS EPISCOPAL CHURCH:  West Market Street, Sussex Avenue.

1871 / ST. COLUMBA'S R.C. CHURCH:  Pennsylvania Ave. & Brunswick Street.

1871-80 / ST. JOSEPH'S R.C. CHURCH:  221 W. Market Street, formerly St. Joseph Plaza and PrioryRestaurant.

1873 / FIRST REFORMED CHURCH:  27 Lincoln Park, now Iglesia Roca de Salvacion.

1874 / CLINTON MEMORIAL A.M.E. ZION CHURCH:  151 Broadway, originally Belleville Avenue Congregational Church. 

1874 / ST. STEPHAN'S UNITED CHURCH OF CHRIST:  Ferry Street & Wilson Avenue.


1898-54 / SACRED HEART CATHEDRAL BASILICA (Roman Catholic):  Clifton & Victoria (Sixth) Avenues.

1901 / ST. STANISLAUS R.C. CHURCH:  146 Irvine Turner Blvd.

1920 / ST. CASIMIR'S R.C. CHURCH:  91 Pulaski Street.

1926 / ST. LUCY'S R.C. CHURCH:  Ruggiero Plaza at Seventh Avenue.

1927 ST. ROCCO'S R.C. CHURCH:  208 Hunterdon Street.


1884 / OHEB SHALOM CONGREGATION, originally synagogue, later Metropolitan Baptist Church, now Greater Newark Conservancy Environmental Center, 32 Prince Street.


1924 / TEMPLE B'NAI ABRAHAM, originally synagogue, now Deliverance Evangelistic Center, 621 Clinton Avenue.


1901 / HAHNE & CO:  609 Broad Street, former department store,  now restored residential and commercial building complex.

1912 / NATIONAL STATE BANK:  810 Broad Street, office building, former Indigo Hotel, now Indigo residences.

1925 / SYMPHONY HALL:  1020 Broad Street, originally Salaam Temple and later Mosque Theater.

1926 / ESSEX CLUB:  52 Park Place, now the New Jersey Historical Society.

1927 / GRIFFITH BUILDING:  605 Broad Street, former music store, now vacant. 

1927 / MUTUAL BENEFIT LIFE INSURANCE CO:  300 Broadway, now Broadway House nursing home.

1927 / STANLEY THEATER:  985 South Orange Avenue, later Italian Cultural Center, now Newark Tabernacle. 

1928 / FIREMEN'S INSURANCE COMPANY:  10 Park Place, now office an building. 

1929 / NEW JERSEY BELL TELEPHONE:  540 Broad Stree, now Walker House residences.

Using Format